June 15, 2009

How to Bead Crochet

I didn't know how to crochet when I decided to learn to bead crochet. That shows that it's not that difficult to learn. Now, I love to crochet, not just necklaces, but purses and handbags. This is a picture of my very first bead crochet necklace. It was fun to do and I ended up with a unique accessory. I learned by watching "Bead Crochet with Carol Perrenoud." This is a fantastic video and Carol makes it so easy to follow along. Like I said earlier, I didn't know how to crochet but at the end of the video, I was well on my way with my necklace project. I got this video from my local library (VHS tape) so you might find it at yours. If you want to buy it, it is available from Yarnbarn, owners of Victorian Video Productions. You can also purchase from private sellers on Amazon or search for other retailers on Google.

Okay, here's a short tutorial on how to bead crochet.

1. String beads on crochet thread. Small beads are best. If you are very new to bead crochet, I suggest using pony beads at first until you've got the technique down. String on as many as you can for the item you are making. You might find it easier to use a bead spinner instead of stringing the beads on one by one as I did at first. If you don't have a bead spinner, get a wide-eye beading needle and pour your beads into a bowl. Dig the needle into the bowl and try to get as many beads on as possible.

2. Tie a small loop in your crochet thread.

3. Pass your crochet pin into the loop so that the loop rests on the neck of the pin.

4. Catch the thread with the hook on your crochet pin. Pull the pin and the thread out through the loop. You've made your second chain.

5. Catch the thread with the hook on your crochet pin. Pull the pin and the thread through the loop on your pin. You've made your third chain.

6. Repeat the last step until you have made about six chains. Now it's time to start crocheting with the beads.

7. Push a bead down the thread until it rests against the crochet pin. Catch the thread with the pin and pull through the loop on the pin. You've made your first beaded chain.

Repeat the last step until you reach your desired length.

And that's it. Not very difficult, is it? When I was done with mine, I folded the chains into about five strands and tied the ends. Then I wrapped each end tightly with wire and added clasps. That's how I made the necklace up there. I wanted more bead crochet projects when I was done with this necklace so I got this book from Amazon:


It has some exciting projects and even shows you how to crochet with soft wire. There are many other bead crochet bookswith even more awe-inspiring ideas. You are not limited to jewelry with bead crochet. I've seen some lovely purses, handbags, blouses, scarves - you name it. You might get addicted! Have fun!

Edit:
To create the necklace pictured above, I used:
Size 10 crochet thread
Seed beads

Consider practicing with some cheap beads first before using the ones you value.